Talk like a geek with ForumSpeak
Are you an internet novice, hoping to be an internet
geek? First you need to learn the lingo. Online
forums are full of acronyms forumspeak. Learn
what it means here:
- <aol>Me too</aol> - Pseudo-html
making fun of AOL users' tendency to chime in
with content-free agreement in Usenet discussions.
- AFAICT - As far as I can tell
- AFAIK - As far as I know
- AFK - Away from keyboard
- AHAGP - Anybody have any Grey Poupon?
- AIM - AOL Instant Messenger. An online chat tool.
- AOL - Almost online
- asbestos - a flame-retardant material; see
- ATM - At the moment
- BBL - Be back later
- BBS - 1) Bulletin Board System
- BBS - 2) Be back soon
- BIL - Brother-in-law
- BILC - Because it looks cool
- board(s) - Short for bulletin board.
- BRB - Be right back
- BTL - Better than life
- BTW - By the way
- bulletin board - A program on a computer
system or on the Internet where users can post
messages to each other.
- bump - To make a meaningless comment in an
important thread so that it will get pushed
back to the top of the forum.
- CYA - See ya!
- DYPMTTUAYGA - Do you people make these things
up as you go along?
- ETLA - Extended three-letter acronym
- FAQ - Frequently asked questions
- FIL - Father-in-law
- flame - (1) A heated argument, especially
one that degrades into personal attacks rather
than rational discussion of the subject matter.
- flame - (2) Anytime anyone dares to disagree
- FOAF - Friend of a friend
- forum(s) - (1) Another name for a bulletin
- forum(s) - (2) One of the discussion areas
on a board.
- ftp - file transfer protocol
- FWIW - for what it's worth
- GAL - Get a life
- GD&R - Grinning, ducking & running
- GIGO - Garbage in, garbage out
- GSOH - Great sense of humor
- HTML - Hypertext Markup Language
- IANAL - I am not a lawyer
- I Seek You. Online chat tool. Owned by AOL.
- IHNI - I have no idea
- IIRC - If I remember correctly
- IM(R)HO - In my (rarely) humble opinion
- IMHO - In my humble opinion
- IMNSHO - In my not so humble opinion
- IMO - In my opinion
- IOW - In other words
- IRC - Internet Relay Chat
- IRL - In real life
- ISTR - I seem to recall
- l8r - later
- LOL - Laugh out loud
- LOTH - Leaning over toilet, hurling
- LSHIGRBUMN - Laughing so hard I got root
beer up my nose
- LSHIPIMP - Laughing so hard I peed in my
- LTNC - Long time no chat
- MCAS - My cornflakes are soggy
- MIL - Mother-in-law
- MPSIMS - Mundane pointless stuff I must share
- NATO - Not able to organize
- NDFTT - Do not feed the trolls
- newbie - Someone new to the forum.
- NIMBY - Not in my back yard
- OMG - Oh my goodness!
- OP - Original Post or Original Poster.
- OT - Off topic
- OTL - Out to lunch
- OTOH - On the other hand
- PBCK - Problem between chair and keyboard
- popcorn - When a flame war heats up, sometimes
the only rational thing to do is to watch it
like a bad movie. Be sure to bring lots of popcorn.
- post - (1) An individual message within a
thread. The first post in a thread is called
the OP (original post). The following posts
are called replies.
- post - (2) The act of adding a post to a
forum. You "post" your reply to the
- ROFL - Roll on floor laughing
- ROFWL - Roll on floor with laughter
- S&D - Search and destroy
- SBD - Silent, but deadly (ninja fart)
- SIL - Sister-in-law
- smilies - These thingies:
- SOH - Sense of humor
- Spam - 1) Unsolicited email.
- Spam - 2) Flooding a bulletin board with
irrelevant posts to increase your posting counts.
- Spam - 3) Flooding a website directory or
search engine with multiple submissions of your
- SUFBAMT - Sneak up from behind and massively
- SWMBO - She who must be obeyed (wife)
- Thread - A discussion within a forum. It
is composed of several messages or posts.
- TLA - Three-letter acronym
- TLA - Three-letter acronym
- TM - Teeming millions
- TTYA! - Thanks to you all!
- TTYL - Talk to you later
- TWFW - Too weird for words
- TWIAVBP - The world is a very big place
- UBB - Ultimate Bulletin Board
- UL - Urban legend
- WOMBAT - Waste of money, brains, and talent
- WYSITWIRL - What you see is totally worthless
in real life
- WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get
- YAFIYGI - You asked for it, you got it
- YMMV - Your mileage may vary (meaning that
things may be different in different circumstances)
- YOYO - You're on your own